Sunday, October 11, 2009

a little behind

I've fallen a bit behind on the gratitude blog, but I do distinctly remember being grateful yesterday for the San Francisco Zen Center. I went to zazen and the dharma talk. Zazen was what it was (as it always is). It is a very good thing to have someplace to go and do it with other people. I am grateful that even when I fall behind on my daily meditation, I have saturday mornings at Zen Center to ground me.

The dharma talk was especially engaging. It was Ed Brown, who wrote the Tassajara cookbooks. I've actually done a one day sitting with him before, and did not get anything special out of it, but parts of his talk yesterday really came through to me. He spoke about the idea that some people have that if you meditate, you will become immune to negative emotions and stress and the like, but of course that is not true. And he spoke of relating to people and things in the world, and the importance of that. And it made sense, particularly in a moment where I have been struggling and fighting the urge to shut things out.


I'm grateful that Zen Center exists and that is near my house.

So, that's yesterday....

And today I am grateful that I got through the 10K run, and for the good company and food that followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment